Situated on a rocky island in county Tipperary, Cahir Castle is among Ireland’s largest and best preserved castles.
First built in 1142 by Conor O’Brien, the castle replaced an earlier earthen fort that stood on the same site. Ownership of Cahir passed to the Butler family in the 13th century, who proceeded to expand and strengthen its defenses through the 15th century. The castle was captured three times over the course of its history, sometimes without a single shot fired.
Upon the last lord’s death in 1961, Cahir Castle became property of the Irish State. Multiple restorations have taken place since then, with an effort to remain faithful to the castle’s original design.
To celebrate the 100th anniversary of the 1916 Easter Rising, Cahir Castle also currently houses an exhibit over the Rising and War of Independence. The exhibit will remain in the castle’s great hall until September 30th.
The castle has varying operating hours during the year. From March to mid-June, the site is open from 9:30 am to 5:30 pm. Hours are extended from mid-June to August, with visitors welcome from 9:00 am to 6:30 pm. Without a Heritage Card, admission is 4 euro per adult, 3 euro for seniors and 2 euro for children. Guided tours are available, but must be booked in advance.
It’s also worth noting, the site only takes cash – no credit or debit cards will be accepted – so plan accordingly.
Additional Links & Resources: